Saturday 4 July 2009

Day 1

Everyone told us to expect Cornwall to be one of the hardest days. So we were feeling a little nervous when we set off. I was feeling especially nervous because looking at our bikes it was clear that Andy and Alex had taken completely the opposite approach to luggage to me. I had bulging rear panniers and they had skinny ruck sacks and were due to pick up more luggage along the way, crucially after Cornwall and Devon. The first few hills really showed the difference. They were going up them faster and a couple of gears higher and I was frankly struggling. I resolved to leave some of my luggage in the bin at the B&B.
The thing about Cornwall is that there is only hills, if you are not going down you are going up.
We reached Penzance after about an hour and the weather turned to quite heavy rain. Didn't bother with waterproofs (although I had packed them). And it soon cleared up. Past St Michael's Mount and inland.
I think we were getting used to the hills because although hard work there was none we could not cycle.
We eventually arrived in Wadebridge around 7pm in one final heavy shower and retired to the pub for a Lasagne and beer. I think we are all feeling a little bit cocky with an "if Cornwall is the worst you have then there is nothing to worry about - bring it on!" lets see how we feel tomorrow when we are cycling on tired legs.

2 comments:

  1. txt me your login and i'll post the pic of you starting out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and keep the luggage, you'll burn more calories and loose that extra stone!

    ReplyDelete