Saturday 11 July 2009

Day 8

Last night we stayed in The Bull in Sedburgh. it can probably best be summed up as in need of a refurb, friendly, and a bit of a shambles. My room was tiny, the bathroom flooded when I had a shower, and I got a neck ache looking at the tv which was on the ceiling. Andy was kept awake all night by a noisy air con unit. We checked in at around 7.30 and checking the information in the room found out they served meals until 9.00 but when we went down at 8.40 we were told the chef had already gone home. On checking in we were told breakfast was from 8.00 to 9.00, but at 8.00 the restaurant was deserted of staff. At around 8.10 a lady poked her head around the door and saw us and said "I am only the cleaner, I hate it when this happens, I never know what to say". Andy was outside and saw someone nonchalantly crossing the road at 8.15 and the receptionist shouted at him "hurry up, we have people in the dining room", he said "what, already?".
Finally on checking out I asked who to make the cheque out to, the receptionist said "hang on a minute, I know this one". They have missed their calling, they should be a comedy show.
After this we set off just after 9.00 and all I can say is "Wow! What a fantastic days cycling!".
The sun shone all day. What little wind there was was a tail wind. We had a couple of tough climbs before Tebay and after Orton. Then after that it was fast rolling countryside. We were cycling through a delightful area with the Lake District in the distance to our left and the wall of hills which are the start of the Pennines to our right.
We stopped for lunch at Langwathby and ate it on a village green outside a pub in the sunshine. We were met by Andy's wife Lisa who kindly agreed to carry our panniers and rucksack to our next B&B. So I had the pleasure of cycling luggage-free this afternoon. Lisa also bought a squishy gel saddle cover for Andy and some ointment. I hope this helps because Andy has been suffering. I feel for him - metaphorically, not literally of course. I suggested to Lisa perhaps Andy should use Surgical Spirit, always interesting on open wounds ;).
We passed into Scotland around 5.00. It is amazing to think that over 6 of the 14 days of this trip will be in Scotland, I am ashamed to admit I forgot how huge Scotland is.
We finished the day with a nice pub meal near our B&B in Langholm.
I suspect tomorrow will be tougher than today but it has been such a pleasure to have an easier day.
Tomorrow - Edinburgh.

1 comment:

  1. Now I feel awful, so sorry about the accomdation. I hope the rest is ok. Did you actually get something to eat in the evening?

    ReplyDelete